Load up on your fruits basket to give your skin the much needed detox from sun exposure and damage. Treat your skin to some much needed TLC with fruits which are free of toxins and help hydrate and rejuvenate your skin. Here is a list of fruits that can add to that festive glow you are aiming for.
Essentially a summer fruit, watermelon is now available all year round. You would be surprised to know that watermelons are not just a juicy treat and a boon for weight watchers but they are also great for exfoliating the skin and are considered as natural toners. They protect skin from sun damage, moisturise it to make you look fresh and young.
Here are a few ways to make watermelon work for your skin.
• Take a cup of watermelon pupl and apply it to your face and neck to get a fresh glow.
• To remove tan, squeeze watermelon juice and apply it to your tanned face and body. Let it sit on your face for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water.
• To hydrate, heal and exfoliate your skin mix togetehr watermelon juice and yogurt. Apply the pack to your face and neck leaving it on for a minimum of 10 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water and pat dry.
• To counter the effect of aging on your face mix 1 tbsp of watermelon juice with 1 tbsp of mashed avocado and apply it to your face and neck. Wash it off with cold water after 20 minutes. Watermelon mositurises your skin while avocado is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C and E content, working as antioxidants for anti-ageing.
• You also can mix equal portions of watermelon and cucumber pulp mask on your face to remove sun tan. It heals the sunburns and lightens your complexion.
Banana is an all season fruit that is rich in nutrients including vitamins A, B, C and E along with minerals like potassium, zinc and iron. Bananas help in maintaining the youthful glow on your skin.
You can try these easy DIY tips to make banana face masks and get that natural glow back on your face.
• Mash half a ripe banana and mix it with 1 tbsp of sandalwood powder (or paste) and half a teaspoon of honey. Let it stay on your skin for 20 to 25 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water. This face mask is beneficial for oily skin as sandalwood helps in cleaning excess oil from the skin while banana keeps the skin moisturised.
• Mash a ripe banana. Mix in 1 tsp of milk powder and ¼ tsp of honey and apply it to your face. Allow it to remain on the face and neck for 20 minutes and rinse off with cool water. This pack is good for skin lightning and removing tans.
• Mash one ripe banana and mix it with lemon juice (approximately 2-3 tbs). Leave it on for 25 minutes. This mask is full of vitamin C which will help in getting rid of the dullness and reduces spots and blemishes.
• Mix 1 tbsp of sugar with a mashed banana. Rub it in circular motions while applying to your face. Banana helps moisturise dry skin while sugar granules helps in exfoliating dead skin.
• The moisturising property of bananas can be used to get rid of cracked heels. All you need to do is mash the pulp of two ripe bananas and apply it on dry feet.
• To cure an itchy scalp and add some bounce to your hair mix together 3 ripe bananas with 3 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of yogurt and 1 tbsp of milk. Blend it all together. You can add your choice of essential oils too. Rinse hair with warm water before you apply the mixture. Leave it on for an hour or more before you shampoo and condition.
Papaya, a fruit available throughout all seasons, has a lot of health and skin benefits. Papaya is beneficial for lightening tanned skin.
Here’s how you can use the fruit effectively for your skin.
• Rub the peel of a papaya and apply to your face. Let it stay on for five minutes and then wash it off with cold water. Do it regularly to see reductions in signs of ageing.
• Mash papaya and mix it with honey. Apply to your face to hydrate your skin.
• For treating dry skin, mash a small section of papaya and mix it with 1 tbsp of cream (malai). Leave it on your face for 20 minutes and rinse off.
• Take a ripe papaya, clean it and blend it into a fine paste. Now apply this paste on your face and keep it for 15 minutes. Wash it off using a wash cloth and pat dry. This helps to keep your skin moisturised.
• Papaya can also be used as a body scrub. Mix raw papaya with honey, rock salt and olive oil.
• To remove tanning effects from your skin belnd together yoghurt, honey and lemon juice with mashed papaya. Wash your face thoroughly before applying the paste. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
So the next time you stop by at your grocery shop, be sure to pick up a few extra fruits for mixing them in your easy DIY masks.
Image courtesy of idiva.com